Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting this ball rolling

Well what did you all think of the fights last night? For those of you that missed them I will post the results at the bottom of this post. I saw alot of standup fighting, which is something I think they have in mind when matchmaking for these free fights...show alot of big punches and generate a buzz of excitement.

I think there will be a decent amount of standup in this Saturdays main event, Anderson Silva vs Patrick Cote. I don't know Cote's strategy but I would be leary in standing and trading blows with Silva-his Muay Thai is incredible(great range, great clinch,nasty knees) as many of his opponents know first hand. His jiu jitsu is solid too, in fact the only(and this is extremely subjective) strategy may be to use wrestling to gain position. I know this is Anderson Silva we are talking about and this guy really is no joke.

I just wouldn't use Dan Henderson's strategy, wherein he didn't control the pace and allowed himself to stand and trade blows with "The Spider" as opposed to using his Olympic level wrestling talent to control the tempo. Again this is Anderson Silva and with no flaws to expose, its difficult to say how ANYONE could pull off an upset.



On another note, I have bounced back from the torn adductor/pelvic stress injury. 90 days of no activity(other than therapy), while enjoyable from a relaxation point of view(hypothetically due to the birth of our son halfway through)-has left me incredibly detrained. I might even go so far as to say out of shape! I started up the Prison Workout from here http://trinitytraining.blogspot.com/ last week and couldn't be happier.

The WOD are reminiscent of my past experience with Crossfit metcons. I do think the beauty of these workouts for almost all people(let's face it elite level athletes only make up a fraction of the world's population) is the simplicity of exercises, need for elaborate equipment(or a gym for that matter) and commitment of time required. Saturday I spent more time warming up than executing the WOD! I love this workout and the time it allows me to spend with my wife and 6 week old son.

Here are the results from UFC 89 like I promised
Per Eklund beat Samy Schiavo by third-round submission (rear-naked choke)Jim Miller beat David Baron by third-round submission (rear naked choke)Terry Etim beat Sam Stout by unanimous decisionDavid Bielkheden beat Jess Liaudin by unanimous decisionShane Carwin beat Neil Wain by first-round TKO (strikes)Dan Hardy beat Akihiro Gono by split decisionMarcus Davis beat Paul Kelly by second-round submission (guillotine)Chris Lytle beat Paul Taylor by unanimous decisionLuis Cane beat Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou by second-round TKO (strikes) Keith Jardine beats Brandon Vera by split decisionMichael Bisping beat Chris Leben by unanimous decision

No comments: